For some organizations, list exchanges are an afterthought. At ALC, we know that a strong, well-managed data exchange program can dramatically reduce our clients’ new customer or donor acquisition costs, spell the difference between a winning and losing mail file, and improve their overall mail campaign return on investment.
Which is why we’ve made developing and instituting a smart data exchange strategy an integral part of the campaign management service we provide our clients.
How do we do it?
- First, we establish goals: What percentage of a mailer’s circulation should be secured on exchange? And how many are to be rented?
- We then analyze the mailer’s universe, ensuring that all exchanges are valuable and reciprocal
- We approve and bank the exchange volume, based on our clients’ upcoming campaign needs
- We maintain an ongoing dialogue with all high-value partners, ensuring that mailers take full advantage of the exchange opportunity in each and every campaign
- We identify and present new exchange opportunities to increase volume and reactivate lapsed partnerships wherever it is likely to benefit both the mailer and the data owner
- We leverage successful lists—both list specific and categorical—in order to identify and optimize all exchange relationships
- We protect our clients’ high value assets by requiring reciprocity on a dollar by dollar basis. (For example, if a data owner client provides $100-$499 donors, the mailer must provide $100-$499 donors in return—we will not allow them to substitute $100-$249 donors)
- Timing is critical. We ensure that the data is available for each partner when it is needed
Let us show you how we can help you optimize the value of exchanges. In your mail campaigns. And on your bottom line.
Marketing Communication Specialist